Sunday, August 31, 2008

The worst is behind me!!!

"Doom's day" has come and gone. My mouth has 4 less teeth. The surgery only took about 30 minutes, but I was back there for about an hour because I was waking up from the knock you out medicine. I don't remember anything, except what happened before I "fell asleep". I was very nervous and wanted the Dr. or nurses to explain what was happening and what they were doing, but apparently they were in a hurry. At least that is how I felt. Aren't they suppose to count to 3 before they stick you with a needle!!!!
I wasn't in much pain right after the surgery because I was still numb. The nurses told Cory to give me some pain medicine(Vicodin) when we got home just to make sure I would not be in pain. I thought to myself---this is not so bad. Boy did I say that to soon.....after two doses of the Vicodin I started to get that feeling you get right before you throw-up. I was cold, then hot, then weak and just plain miserable. I kept saying to myself----don't throw-up, don't throw-up. A mouth full of holes and gauze and throw-up don't mix well. So after my bad Vicodin experience I decided I would rather be in immense pain than go through the ordeal of throwing-up again. Advil became my new best friend. However it did not do much for the pain--it just took the edge off. Each day the pain worsened, I assumed it's what came with the territory. Apparently I was wrong, when I went back for my check-up 6 days after my my surgery---I found out I had dry socket. The Dr. had warned me about this but did not tell me any of the symptoms. So basically, I lived through the worst pain in my life to find out there was a solution. WHATEVER!!!! At the check-up the Dr. put this stuff in my holes to numb the pain for about 12 hours. I was able to eat and sleep for the first time in 6 days. It was wonderful. Its been 2 1/2 weeks and the only time it is uncomfortable is when I have to clean out my holes with warm salt water with this funky syringe. I am soooooo happy it is over!!!!!

1 comment:

Darling Daughters said...

yay! It sucks that you had the dry socket complication, but I'm glad you're doing better now!